Each day at the Pyle Center, 702 Langdon St., UW-Madison campus Sponsored by UW-Madison Continuing Studies & UW-Madison Dept. of English
Join writers from around the country in a professional retreat with a creative atmosphere.
Optional: 1-3 grad credits in English. Limit 15 each section unless noted otherwise.
1. A World of Wonder: How Fairy Tales Can Invigorate Our Vision and Our Writing, Tim Storm
2. Five Days to Your First Novel, Christopher Mohar
3. Writing Rhyming Picture Books: A Logical Approach to Sweet Stories, Silly Verse, and Soothing Lullabies, JoAnn Early Macken
4. The Bestselling Edge…Tactics and Techniques for Writing a WOW! Novel, Kathy Steffen
5. Fiction in a Flash—The Art of the Very Short Story, Angela Rydell For all writers of Fiction & Nonfiction
6. Reboot Your Writing: Lifting Your Project to High Concept Status, Laurie Scheer For writers of Fiction, Plays, Screenplays
7. Stage, Screen, or Story: Creating Characters That Write it For You, with Gail Sterkel Master classes in fiction—Please apply to instructor before enrolling.
8. Revision: Polish and Perfect for Publication, Laurel Yourke. Limit—10; 20 pp. $450.
9. Genre Novelists: Complete and Ready to Compete? (ex.: fantasy, romance, mystery) and YA, Lori Devoti. Limit—6. Full novels/90,000 words. $750.
10. Finish, Polish, Publish, Christine DeSmet. Full, completed manuscripts, for all novelists in literary/mainstream or genre (Examples: women’s fiction, suspense, character studies, literary thrillers, historical fiction; YA accepted but we encourage YA writers to join Section 9.) Limit—6. Full novels/90,000 words. $750.
11. Anthologies and the Nonfiction Writer/How to Get Essays (including short memoir material) Published This Year, Amy Lou Jenkins Poetry
12. Nuts, Bolts and Jackhammers: a Craft Workshop for Poets, Marilyn Taylor “Rating of 5 in this case should mean Extraordinarily Effective Superior Insight!
“The content, class discussion, and critiquing were highest level. This is why I come 250 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul.” –Kathleen Vellenga, St. Paul, MN (referring to Laurel Yourke’s Master Class)
“Kathy[Steffen] was superb. She covered the material with humor, enthusiasm, and plain talk. She kept a rowdy, creative group focused.” –Barry Chessick, Northbrook, IL
“I really appreciate Write-by-the-Lake for providing such a supportive atmosphere where all writers, no matter our level, are encouraged and taken seriously.” -Katie Songer (Plotting with Lori Devoti)
“I was amazed at the level of study I received here this week. Christopher [Mohar] is amazing and has an incredible grasp on novel writing.” –Scott Saporiti, Rockford, IL “I feel like I’m coming away with gold.” –Nicole Dimond, Fitchburg, WI
$345 fee for all but Master Classes by May 21; $395 after May 21. Program #7108. Grad credit fees additional; special low fees for nontraditional credit students. Details/lodging info/syllabi: http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/lsa/writing/wbtl/index.html. Or contact Christine DeSmet, email@example.com; 608-262-3447.